Core Temp window stops responding, Taskbar icon shows but it should not

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
Naki

Core Temp window stops responding, Taskbar icon shows but it should not

Post by Naki »

This is quite similar to several other persons report in another thread.
I mean this one:
https://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7296

Looks like quite the same bug, or at least similar bug, but with SAME root cause/reasons. (i.e. CPU/PC overload)

System is a desktop PC -- slow & old Intel Core i3 Haswell CPU (2 cores, 4 threads), 16 GB DDR3 RAM.
Big Samsung 8 TB SSD, one also 8 TB HDD, plus several bigger HDDs (some of them external). Lots of free space, on the SSD C: drive, as well as HDDs.
AMD Radeon 390 8GB GPU, Intel built-in GPU enabled too (but no monitors connected to it).

TWO 27" displays connected, both Full HD (1080p) resolution.
Windows 10 Enterprise, ver. 22H2 64-bit with all updates installed.

Core Temp is set to start with Windows, as well as its main window to be always shown, on my 2nd display, but with NO Taskbar button (as I do not need it).
For most of the day/week, this works fine.

But if I overload the CPU/PC, for a small time Core Temp window becomes all gray, shows Not Responding, and a "rogue" Taskbar button shows and flashes, whereas it should not.
I am achieving the overload by installing or updating a big game in Steam PC client, and/or Epic Games client.
A game of 20+ GB in size will do it easily. :) (Note: Due to compression, actual data moved around can be 40+ GB for such a ~20 GB game.)
When I download/install OR update such a game (assuming update is not small in size), the bug will happen regularly more than once, i.e. for a 20-30 mins period it can happen 4-5 times/etc, for 10-20 secs on each occurence.

When Steam or Epic Games stops/finishes the download, Core Temp works just fine again.
IF I do not update or install a big game on a certain day, the bug never happens.

(NOTE: Besides Core Temp always running/set for auto-startup on my PC, I have some chat/IM clients always running/set for auto-startup, some Cloud clients (several of those, including Dropbox and MS OneDrive), MS Outlook, Evernote, 2 remote access clients, antivirus (Kaspersky Cloud Free), USB Safely Remove app, some 8GadgetPack gadgets (analog clock, digital clock, calendar/etc), a macro/text expander app I use for work, and a tiny app to keep one of my USB HDDs always on.)

Please check this! If you need more info, please tell me.
I believe with some effort and/or depending on hardware/software used, the issue can happen on much stronger/faster/newer PCs/CPUs too, such as 4-core, 8-core/etc ones. :)

Expected: Even when PC/CPU is very overloaded, not to gray out the Core Temp window this way.
Also, to not say "Not responding" and not show/flash any Taskbar button, when I chose it not to ever show.

Return to “Bug reports”