RFE: allow logging to user specified folder path

User feature requests
Planned features for Core Temp
BanditQuest

RFE: allow logging to user specified folder path

Post by BanditQuest »

Using Core Temp v1.0 RC4 - 32bit
Some IT policies require data to not be logged where exe files are installed, so I would really like to log csv data to another drive folder, i.e. NOT folder where "Core Temp.exe" is in installed. Please could we have an override option in "CoreTemp.ini" file to do this?

Naki

Re: RFE: allow logging to user specified folder path

Post by Naki »

This version you quoted is VERY old.
Does same issue exist with latest version?

heisenblau
New User

Re: RFE: allow logging to user specified folder path

Post by heisenblau »

Yes, the same issue exists with the most current version 1.17.1.

There is presently no option to place the log files in a separate folder from the executable. This is VERY 1990s programming, to be blunt. In a safe programming design, the log files are always kept in another folder, separate from any binaries. On a Windows system this would typically be "Documents" or "My Documents," and the path information is available via the Windows registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders; using the registry key as a basis is recommended since standard folders such as "Documents" can be moved and/or renamed.

Being able to safely keep the log files elsewhere would be a huge help. Honestly, even if the program simply created/checked for a "log" subfolder in the installation directory, that would be sufficient _at a minimum_, because then we power users could replace the log folder with a symbolic link to another drive/folder location. This would probably be an acceptable workaround, provided the code does not simply force-create the log folder at program startup, instead of checking to see if it exists before trying to create it.

Sorry for the long-winded post about coding ideas and such. I'm just trying to help speed things along.

The hard work for creating and maintaining Core Temp is greatly appreciated, and as soon as I find work I'll back that up with some money.

Return to “Development”