New Dell Inspirion 15 3511. Temps waaaayyy too high?

fluxcapacitor
New User

New Dell Inspirion 15 3511. Temps waaaayyy too high?

Post by fluxcapacitor »

I just got a new Dell 15 3511. It's the 1135G7 2.Ghz, 12GB RAM, 512SSD, Iris Xe model. Running Windows 10, starting a Cybersecurity Bootcamp in 3 weeks and they recommended 10.

So far very impressed, quite a bit faster than my old 3rd Gen i5 Desktop.

My question is mainly about temperature, heat, and Coretemp. First is Coretemp going to be accurate on this system/Architecture? If it is, I think I'm running waaaaaaayyyy too hot. Coretemp is reporting temp peaks of in the 90c's! If the max temp (TjMax) of this CPU is in fact 100c, why o' why would it be getting this hot?! I even picked up a laptop cooler from Microcenter, an Enhance gaming cooler just to get some air moving underneath this thing. I think it's rated at like 180cfm or something. I'm also not doing anything crazy getting these temps, just web browsing mostly. Sometimes I'm watching x265 MKVs w LAV Decoder set to DXVA Hardware decoding. But I see very little difference between regular usage and watching HD vids. MKVs are all 1080p. I have also blown a can of air thru the grills on the bottom of the machine while it's off.

So assuming that these temps are accurate, is there a way to disable Intel SpeedStep and its auto-overclocking? I don't see any CPU settings in the BIOS or anything about SpeedStep.

As I mentioned in the subject this is my first laptop. Been building air cooled gaming desktops for 20 years. If anyone can offer any guidance here I would be very thankful. Thank you.

Return to “Intel”