CoreTemp Not Recognizing AMD CPU Correctly.

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
SPC CHEESE

Re: CoreTemp Not Recognizing AMD CPU Correctly.

Post by SPC CHEESE »

Thanks. I just re-read your post and see what you meant. I got confused and thought you were still talking about the Athlon and alike at the end of your post. Now back to Battlefield 4. :)
FX-8350 on a Sabertooth 990FX with 16GB of CORSAIR Vengeance and 2 MSI R7850's in CrossFire.

Milo

Post by Milo »

The Coolest wrote:Sadly there is no fix for this. AMD CPUs had not been reporting 'absolute' temperature values since the Athlon64 era. So the only workaround for the FX series is the same as it has always been, you've got to add an offset.
It seems to have changed with the new Trinity and newer APUs. Core Temp still needs work in that department, but I'll get it eventually.
What do you mean by "You've got to add an offset" ?
SPC CHEESE wrote:
Milo wrote:Yeah it sure did, but I would really like to read know whether it's possible to fix this yes or no.
Since i've always been using CoreTemp+the gadget it became so standard and handy to read off temps from that.
And since I also have 2 screens I can play games on one screen and keep an eye on my temps on the other one.
Hope to get a reply from devs soon :)
Fix what? Everything is correct. Core Temp reads the core temps of the cpu and Asus reads from a sensor embedded in the motherboard. They are two separate reading by design. See here and here
And okay, I understand now.
Just to be sure: Do I need to keep an eye on my CPU temps or my CORE temps? CORE temps right?
(Unlocked) AMD FX-8350 octocore on a Asus M5A97 R2.0 with 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz RAM and a GeForce GTX 550Ti graphics card

SPC CHEESE

Post by SPC CHEESE »

Personally I keep an eye on my core temp and like to see it under 60 °C. I believe AMD says not to go over 62 °C core temp which is 'actual' at least that's what my 1100T was. By offset I believe The Coolest means adjust Core Temp (the program) to display the results from the CPU temp as displayed from the motherboards embedded sensor. An offset in core temp would freak me out since I watch my actual temp and have for years.

FYI: Package temperature, actual temperature and core temperature all mean the same thing.
FX-8350 on a Sabertooth 990FX with 16GB of CORSAIR Vengeance and 2 MSI R7850's in CrossFire.

Milo

Post by Milo »

SPC CHEESE wrote:Personally I keep an eye on my core temp and like to see it under 60 °C. I believe AMD says not to go over 62 °C core temp which is 'actual' at least that's what my 1100T was. By offset I believe The Coolest means adjust Core Temp (the program) to display the results from the CPU temp as displayed from the motherboards embedded sensor. An offset in core temp would freak me out since I watch my actual temp and have for years.

FYI: Package temperature, actual temperature and core temperature all mean the same thing.
If I have to believe the measurements my core temps doesnt even goes beyond 32 degrees celsius. CPU temp doesn't go over 45 degrees. (Measured it with different programs).
So I guess I don't have to worry.

And changing where the program measures the temps isn't possible really. So maybe that will come in a later version? We'll see, thnx anyways!
(Unlocked) AMD FX-8350 octocore on a Asus M5A97 R2.0 with 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz RAM and a GeForce GTX 550Ti graphics card

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Core Temp has been updated, and the issue of this thread should be fixed now.
Here are the changes in this release:

Version 1.0 RC6 - 9th October, 2013

- New: Digital signature. Core Temp is digitally signed by 'Artur Liberman', it is now easy to tell that you have a genuine copy of Core Temp.
- New: Update Checker. Core Temp can now notify you when a new version is available.
- New: You can now hide the taskbar button and use the system tray icons to pop the window back up.
- New: Added support AMD's new Richland APU.
- New: Added support for Intel Haswell and Ivy Bridge-EP CPUs.
- New: Preliminary support for Bay Trail-T Atoms.

- Fix: BSOD on some Windows 7/8 + UEFI enabled machines.
- Fix: AMD FX system freezes/crashes/BSOD.
- Fix: Driver failure when closing Core Temp on another Windows user account.
- Fix: Corrected detection of certain Xeon processors.

- Update: Ram utilization notification icon added to the Settings --> Notification Area.
- Update: Logitech G15 applet now supports CPUs with up to 10 cores.
- Update: System tray icons' tooltips now display their respective core information.
- Update: Log file will now also contain power consumption.
- Update: Log file will now keep track of each core on AMD CPUs as well.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Return to “Bug reports”