Trouble with android app at work

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
jbs001

Trouble with android app at work

Post by jbs001 »

Hello,
I am running Core Temp 1.0 RC3 on my clevo laptop (win7-64bit).
Also just nabbed Core Temp Monitor for my android phone.
I work at a California university and our internet is provided using a cable.
I sucessfully downloaded and unzipped the 9 files inside folder CoreTempRemoteServer, inside plugins folder, inside the Core Temp program folder under Program Files.
The plugin is enabled and running.
I seem to be lost in setting up the communication between the android app and my laptop.
I went online to find "my" ip address and also used ipconfig from the cmd window and used this IPv4 address in the setting for the adroid app.
However, when I save and try to access the server, the app status remains in search and eventuall turns to Status: offline.
I know I'm missing something obvious here, but I just can't figure it out.
I'm not behind a router, at least not at work, tonight I will be and can experiment more with port forwarding. What is interferring with the connection at my work while trying to connect by 3g/4g?
Should I be trying to do this after connecting my android by wifi to my laptop?
I havent done that before and may need help with that as well.
Thanks in advance for any trouble shooting help, I should be able to check back in later tonight.
Core Temp Rocks!

jbs001

Re: Trouble with android app at work

Post by jbs001 »

Connected Core Temp Monitor at home with two computers and one router with no trouble.
Will test my attempt at port forwarding today at work.
I usually connect my android to the wireless campus internet.
I do that to keep my data consumption low.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Many public hot spots will block non-standard ports.
So trying to connect to a 5000 port will simply not work. I'm not sure how data plans do it, but it's possible that some port ranges will not work either.

If your phone and computer are on the same network, local IP address and port should work fine.
When your phone is using data (not wifi) then you have to use the internet IP of your router, and make sure that the port is properly forwarded to your PC.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

jbs001

Post by jbs001 »

Thanks Coolest.

I believe now I can monitor my home desktop via 3g/4g when on the road by using the routers external ip in the android app config.
All my fault, had been trying to use the machine ip address.
My test was to turn off the WiFi on the phone and add the desktop, but use the routers external ip address instead of the machines ip address. And it worked.

I will try again today with my laptop at work (a university network) to properly configure the app using 3g/4g because I think you are correct about the wireless connection being filtered.
I'm looking at a screen capture (taken yesterday at work) of the cmd ipconfig /all command and there are listed an IPv4 Address and Default Gateway Address that I neglected to try.
I believe I was only using the laptop ip address provided from some internet address detector, again thinking the app connects directly to the machine.
Am I heading in the right direction?

jbs001

Post by jbs001 »

Coolest,
In an attempt to connect core temp android app to my laptop at work i decided to see if the port was detectable over the internet.
After checking if port 5200 was open, while first loged into our universities wireless and second, "much faster wired" internet service, I found that neither alowed access to this port.
I guess we have a fairly restrictive firewall.

No worries though, my main rig at home is connected to the android app via 3g/4g and my home router's external ip, worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Discussion”