98 and XP

NICs, networks and everything that is network related

Moderators: The Coolest, imposter

Andrewm1986

98 and XP

Post by Andrewm1986 »

Anyone know how to network a 98 (laptop) and an XP (desktop) with a usb cable? It would jsut be used for transfering file, not proper networking. I wudnt mind coding it myself but i cant work out how to use USB in VB :-S
I know the voices aren't real... but they sure got some good ideas!

Filip04

Post by Filip04 »

with a USB?

as far as i know, that's impossible.. the only way you could do it is SERIAL, or parallel... oh yeah, or network/modem... but that's it... no other ways...

unless you wanna go buy a USB harddrive hook it up to ur win98 machine, then backup what you want, then put to ur xp...

there is no other way... usb is NOT a form of data transfer across differnet hosts, sorry

red_hot_machine
New User

Post by red_hot_machine »

You can get USB laplink cables, these are alot faster than Serial or parrallel leads.

You can do USB networking with windows. You have to use a special type of usb lead, with a certain type of socket.

To be honest, the cost of x2 nics and a crossover cable is far cheaper and easier than trying to use USB.

Filip04

Post by Filip04 »

uhh yah, now you can... back in march - you couldn't... now they have usb routers as well, where you hook it up to 2 computers through usb ports......

Return to “Networking”