Unwanted Malware installation.

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
Core123
New User

Unwanted Malware installation.

Post by Core123 »

On installing your software I delclined installing any unwanted malware or adware and suprise I restart my computer to find out a program called protect has been installed and my browser homepage hi-jacked by Trovi.com.

The irony on this "Protect" software is to stop any unwanted browser changes to it and thats exactly what this program has done. Made unwanted changes to my computer/browser.

The above has been flagged in multiple adware and spyware programs and has since been removed from my computer and I'm completely surprised that this has accured and did not expect this from the installer from the offical site.

I've now found a suitable replacement and will not use this software again or recommened it to anyone.

Edit: I've now seen the small print on the bottom on the website, very lame and underhanded especially when you delcline the installation of such software and it installs other software anyway. I've just wasted my time as this post will be deleted.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unwanted Malware installation.

Post by The Coolest »

Which installer did you use? The 'InstallIQ' one or the standard (Inno) installer?
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

yrrab11
New User

Post by yrrab11 »

i installed your software as a i always do to test core Temps and then got swamped with malware and viruses from your website, this is on my new build WTF you need to get this sorted out instead of promoting this kind of behavour

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

To understand what the problem may be I need to know which installer you used.
Either way, if we're talking about the Inno installer, all of the 3rd party software is optional and can be skipped. I have tested it and I have the code which shows that it doesn't install anything the user did not approve.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

9Rune5
New User

Post by 9Rune5 »

I do not know about yrrab11, but I used the "Download" link on your main page (it links to http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/Core-Temp-installer.exe).

I was asked about some optional crap, which I declined.

This landed me with "Wajam", "WindowsMangerProtect20.0.0.1013" [sic!], "mystartsearch uninstall" and "ShopSave Toolbar". IE immediately asked me if I wanted to change my toolbar after installing "core temp".

The "mystartsearch uninstall" not only entailed a captcha, but also asked me six times (once per every subcomponent) if I really wanted to uninstall it. IMNSHO it should be the other way around: Ask me if I really wanted to install it...
attackedbycoretempinstall.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joc.phi
New User

Post by joc.phi »

I installed Core Temp on a Windows 7 machine, and it installed without any malware. I then used the same installer (Core-Temp-installer.exe) on a Windows 8.1, and after denying all of the optionals - "WindowsMangerProtect" and "mystartsearch" got installed. This really is crapware - and took me many hours to delete (actually i had to restore the system ..., first time ever). And the captcha of mystartsearch was very annoying!

There is some kind of online installer that seems to be out of your control, and it installs different things from time to time (maybe based on IP?).

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Very strange. I will see why this happened, as you said on win7 skipping offers works, there's no reason for it not to work on 8 or 8.1.
Main rig:
NAS:
Secondary rigs:

joc.phi
New User

Post by joc.phi »

But is it really neccesary to pack your Core Temp with browser-hijackers in the installer, even if it is possible to skip the installation?

travellerit
New User

Post by travellerit »

Hi,
recently someone told me about CoreTemp, so from my office pc I downloaded the installer from the official main page ( http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ ) and put it in a USB key.
On my older home pc NOD32 warned me that there was an unwanted application in the installer. I tried to download it again but NOD32 prevented it: here is a capture of NOD32 warning:
CoreTemp_Nod32.jpg
Some translations:
Avviso = Warning
Trovata minaccia potenziale = Found potential threat
Oggetto = Object
Minaccia = Threat
applicazione potenzialmente indesiderata = Potentially unwanted application
Minaccia rilevata all'accesso al web dall'applicazione [Opera] = Threat found when [Opera] application accessed website

then NOD32 offers two options: Disconnect (i.e. prevent Opera from downloading the file) and No action (let Opera download the file).

I hope that this post can be useful to CoreTemp author.
Note that I downloaded 32 and 64 bit ZIP file with no virus warning.
I'm a computer technician, so I'm sure that my PCs are malware free.
PC main specs:
- OS: Win 2000 SP4 + RollUp 1, fully updated up to the latest official updates available
- Browser: Opera 12.02 (latest version compatible with the OS)
- Antivirus: NOD32 5.2.9.12 (latest version compatible with the OS) with today's latest virus definitions
- Firewall: Zone Alarm 7.0.483 (latest version compatible with the OS)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9Rune5
New User

Post by 9Rune5 »

FWLIW: I am a bit surprised at your willingness to include such malware with your installer. If one of them cause real problems, you could end up being liable and have to fight off expensive law suits. (and being asked hundred times "are you sure you want to uninstall" is cause enough in my book)

A (much!) better idea: Include a google ads banner in your app. (although running javascript willy-nilly has its own security implications...but much, much less than bundling malware directly)

fabiopb
New User

Post by fabiopb »

"Core Temp is a compact, no fuss, small footprint, yet powerful program to monitor processor temperature and other vital information."

Sure. Small footprint if you consider that adding endless junk to your machine is not footprint. And the "vital information" that is going to be monitored is not exactly the core temp... and is not even going to be monitored by you.

I've been using your app for years and loved it. Today however I needed to install it in another computer and was shocked with the result. I opted out of every offer during installation but my machine was still taken by assault by a ton of junk that I can hardly describe. It started with the infamous search page take over. Then icons started popping up on my desktop and adds started to appear over my browsing and even directing it to places I didn't want to go.

After less then an hour I saw no alternative than FORMATTING MY MACHINE, which I'm just finishing doing. Several hours of work, files and data lost.

I find it unbelievable that people like you get into this kind of deal. Jesus, this is the closest thing to drug dealing in the virtual world. Screwing people's lives for money. Thank you for screwing my computer and my life. I hope you're making a lot of money out of it.

Coretemp never again.

edward1
New User

Post by edward1 »

terrific thanks alot for installic a BROWSER HIJACKER on my computer.

Hopefully this program will be flagged as malware so future users don't make the same mistake as I.

Impissoff
New User

Post by Impissoff »

I want a solution to the trojan that you included with your program, that by the way didn't work, it doesn't display any readings. Your crap hi-jacked my browers. I want a fucking solution asap.

lateralus9813
New User

Post by lateralus9813 »

I'm having the exact same problem. recently installed core temp and was assaulted with a crap load of do you wanna install this piece of garbage yes/no.
Of course I clicked "NO" to every piece of shit it offered as I always do with every piece of software install on my system.
To my surprise after installing I had 3 new short cuts on my desktop that had nothing to do with CoreTemp or my CPU's temperatures.
Start up my FireFox and again to my surprise there is a fuck load of popups I have never seen before covering up my whole browser.
Proceed first off with hitting a "very" tiny x in each popup box to clear up my browser temporarily to find my fucking homepage has been hijacked!!!
Next thing to my surprise is 3 new entries have been added to my Service Configuration/startup via msconfig.
I'm still now as I type this trying to clear out the shit "YOUR" installer put on my computer with out my consent.

Now, I "DONT" want any answers to any of the issues stated above at all!
What I want to know is, is this program funded my adware/garbage underhanded bull shit. Designed to invade my privacy, fuck my computer up and wast hours of my time fixing or completely reinstalling my OS wasting more of my time, bandwidth, and loss of files???????????

If so, immediately remove that PayPal donation link on your front page.
And if in that case I will be requesting the handful of donations I have submitted in the past.

CoreTemp has been removed from my computer, its up to you weather its ever used again...

Yahzi
New User

Post by Yahzi »

I registered an account with your forum just so I could tell you that as soon as I saw the Malware crap in the installer I immediately canceled, deleted everything, and added Arthur Lieberman to the list of people to avoid for the rest of time.

You want to charge money for your product, go ahead. You deserve it. You want to use your product as a gateway for thieves and vandals, please die in a fire. You deserve it.

You have made the world worse by your freely chosen actions. I can think of no sadder legacy.

Shadowdane

Post by Shadowdane »

Just download the standalone version... the installer isn't necessary or required.

Click the More Downloads link on the download page... it's listed right there.

BrokenHaiku
New User

Post by BrokenHaiku »

Same problem here. I declined the bloatware and got a lot of malware instead. It was really persistant in staying in my system.

I wouldn't mind buying Core temp, but this crap I do mind.

Link used, the download link on the front page: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/Core-Temp-installer.exe

BrokenHaiku
New User

Post by BrokenHaiku »

Verified here. Declining all install offers still installs crapware such as mystartsearch, XTab and a protector service that prevents removing the mystartsearch from being the default engine/start page.
This was installed using the default download link on the homepage.

uninstallingty
New User

Post by uninstallingty »

SUPER pissed this program installed malware on my computer. I enjoyed the program but am now ridding of it.

fucking garbage.

Griefo
New User

Post by Griefo »

https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Malwarebytes got rid of it for me after 3 days of trying to manually delete the invasion. Still.. shame on you Core Temp guy. Don't let those bastards become associated with your decent program.

stefan
New User

Post by stefan »

I installed the program and got several unwanted more programs.

I used this to got rid of them:
http://www.chip.de/downloads/AdwCleaner_58118522.html

Return to “Discussion”