How to determine temperature offset

A place to discuss anything related to Core Temp and temperature reading in general
CoreTemp-User244
New User

How to determine temperature offset

Post by CoreTemp-User244 »

I am new to thermal monitoring of my PC. I am trying out CoreTemp. I have an AMD cpu, and understand that there is only one (thermocouple device) for all three cores, which is fine by me.

But I suspect that the temperature reading is inaccurate. It consistently reads between 18 and 20 Celsius. I do have a very good case (CoolerMaster690) which is big with ventilation on all six sides, and currently running 5 fans with minimal components inside (still piecing this thing together), so I anticipate I will have a relatively low temperature. But 18 - 20 seems too low (I think that I read the minimum temp after running for few minutes would be in the 30s).

Navigating around CoreTemp, I came across tools-settings-temperature offset field. So I am guessing that I need to somehow determine what my offset should be, and enter that value in there.

Am I on the right track? Can anyone give me a link or tell me how to determine the offset temp?

Thanks

CoreTemp-User244
New User

Post by CoreTemp-User244 »

I read the stickied threads. I guess that my cpu may fall into this category:

"based on the 65nm K8 core (Revision G)"

Though I did spend a good twenty minutes at the AMD site trying to verify that and wasn't able to.

I did a good couple of hours worth of scanning, disc checking, and defragmenting today, checked the temp according to CoreTemp immediately after and did see a significantly higher temperature, up to 27 Celsius, which then began to cool again after all the scanning activity was over.

So that was a good sign to at least see some response. Reading through here and other sources, I am guessing that the temperature offset will be between 3 and 15% Celsius. So I'll stick with the high end for a factor of safety. I will set my offset to 15 Celsius.

On the AMD website, I did find a field for "Max Temp", which is 70 Celsius. With my offset added in, I am idling at 33 Celsius. So at least I have some level of comfort in my setup for now.

imposter

Post by imposter »

Can you post a screen shot. also which version of core temp are you running?

CoreTemp-User299
New User

Re: How to determine temperature offset

Post by CoreTemp-User299 »

Carpot Muncher wrote: It consistently reads between 18 and 20 Celsius.

couple things (mine always reads aprox 19°C idle...)

1: room temp?
2: heat sync?
3: thermal paste?
4: fan settings? (max?(usually 1200 RPM) low? (usually 7-800 RPM)
5: Cable Management (i find with good management you can actually shave off 1-2°C!)

for me
1: 26-30°C
2: Coolmaster V8
3: Arctic Silver 5
4: Antec Tricool (3 120mm intake on front, 1 120mm intake on side, 2 120mm exhaust on rear and 1 200mm exhaust on top) they are all maxed unless im sleeping, then the computer is turned off.
5: majority of the cables are at the bottom of the case (wont all fit behind mobo)

Return to “Core Temp - Discussion”