Microsoft Operating Systems

Julian Smith
New User

Microsoft Operating Systems

Post by Julian Smith »

Hello,

This my first post and I will try not to disgrace myself. My problem is the following: I am trying to eradicate all traces of AVG Free 2011 edition.
The usual method of uninstalling it (i.e., Windows' uninstall/change program) isn't working. I have been forced to eliminate this program piecemeal
and it's very laborious. The two big obstacles to removal occur when: (1) I try to delete a file within the program and a dialog box appears to inform
me that the file I am attempting to delete is open in another program. Also: (2) Parts of AVG appear to lodged within bin files which, as experienced
operators know, require special programs to open. (I have yet to learn how to open these files.) Please help me to rid my machine of this slightly
insidious program. I am operating an H-P Pavilion dv7 with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thank you!

peterlonz
New User

Re: Microsoft Operating Systems

Post by peterlonz »

I note your request is several months old so this "help" may be next to useless for you now.
I am not an expert but if I was in your situation (& I have been but not with AVG) i would do this:
1) Re-install AVG, I doubt it will matter if you install a later version.
2) Download & install the free program "Revo uninstaller" it's one of the "best of type" & I think you should have it regardless.
3) Use "Revo" to do the uninstall. I will be very surprised if it does not accomplish that quite easily.
BTW Revo will ask you to make some decisions about "installed traces" - just think & go slow, any trace element with any obvious AVG association you can almost allways delete.
You will never use Windows uninstaller again I assure you.
To those who may be similarly affected I hope this helps.

Return to “Microsoft Operating Systems”