usage on older CPUs

User feature requests
Planned features for Core Temp
ChrisF14

usage on older CPUs

Post by ChrisF14 »

Hi together,

my question does not 100% fit in the development nor in the usage forum, so I decided to try it here. Sorry, if another froum would be a better place.

M problem is: I am seeing strange effects with my software on some PCs. To investigate that, I would like to log the CPU-frequency over the runtime of the software.
I noticed changes in CPU-frequency of my notebook (Intel Core II) that were not visible with any other tools (task-manager, desktop-symbol,...) except with CoreTemp, so I like to make use of CoreTemp for that.

My problem now is: the system at one customer, who has problems with my software is a Pentium mobile - not supported by CoreTemp.

On the website I can find the missing temperature-sensor as only cause for older systems not being supported.
Is there a way to start CoreTemp on that system and to make it log only the things the CPU provides like the frequency?

If not - is it possible to use the DLL for that purpose and do the logging by myself? My software already has a powerful logging I could use for that.

If not - is there source code or at least a description avaliable, that I can use to read the CPU frequency by my own the same way, CoreTemp does?

Would be great, if this project could help me by any way.

TIA.
Regards,
Christoph

ChrisF14

Re: usage on older CPUs

Post by ChrisF14 »

Hi,

no one any ideas?

Christoph

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Current versions of Core Temp require you to have a supported processor for it to work.
The Dll in the development section is simply an interface to Core Temp's shared memory block for easier access to that information.
As you've probably noticed, Core Temp is a closed source project, so I cannot share any code.
What I can say is that frequency detection of modern processors is not very trivial, it is rather simple on older CPUs such as early P4s and older, you can simply use the TSC feature which exist pretty much in every processor in use today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Stamp_Counter
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

ChrisF14

Post by ChrisF14 »

Thank you for the advice, I'll play a little around....

Return to “Development”