colors misleading

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
huttarl
New User

colors misleading

Post by huttarl »

Hi...
Thanks for a very useful app! I've been using Core Temp for over a year now and it's done a valuable service.

However...
Today I installed Core Temp on a new laptop and set the system tray settings to "show highest temperature of all cores".
I let it run for some hours. The whole time, the text color of the temperature in the system tray has been red. The options / settings dialog says that red is "critical color". So I've assumed that my cpu has stayed critically hot this whole time.

After trying this on a friend's laptop, we discovered that the system tray settings dialog also has text color settings (less noticeable because they don't have color swatches), and one of them is red by default. After experimenting, we determined that it was these settings that were causing the text in the system tray to be red, not the "critical color" setting. If fact, we cannot figure out where the "text color / hot color / critical color" colors take effect... maybe in the core temp window? That's possible... the temperature text there is currently black... but since I don't normally use the Color Temp window (I only use the taskbar), that was not obvious.

Anyway... suggestions for making this clearer / less misleading:
  • Any settings on the Settings dialog that apply to the Core Temp window and not to the system tray, could be labeled as "window only" or something like that.
  • Have the default text colors that indicate cores in the system tray not overlap with the default colors that indicate temperature criticality on the Core Temp window. E.g. make them default to green and blue instead of red and blue.
Thanks again for a very useful program. Hoping the above can help make it less confusing to new users.

huttarl
New User

Re: colors misleading

Post by huttarl »

P.S.
It would be useful to have color-coding for "hot" and "critical" in the system tray. In fact, I would rather have that than color-coding for which core is which... just as in the Core Temp window.
We can already tell which core is which from the system tray by hovering the mouse over the icon.

Thanks,
Lars

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: colors misleading

Post by The Coolest »

The colors in the system tray are meant to make it easier for the user to know which temp is every core is running at.
I don't have plans to change this anytime soon.
The color settings that you have under the "Settings" screen is for the Core Temp window itself.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Return to “Discussion”