Sony Viao VGN-Z31VN shutting down at bad moments!

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
DavidJA

Sony Viao VGN-Z31VN shutting down at bad moments!

Post by DavidJA »

Arthur (I guess it's you),

Many thanks for such an interesting device - even though I am a complete beginner in these things. Your fame led someone in a flight simulation forum to recommend Core Temp in order to understand whether overheating has been the cause of frustration (actually MS Flight Simulator X plus PMDG JS41 Jetstream model, which combination has suddenly caused total shutdown from time to time).

Based on reading your material it is possible that my Sony Vaio laptop may be running a bit hot all the time, even without the FSX flight sim. FSX might then take it over the limit to prompt the shutdown. But to what extent is "normal" different for laptops? What does the bracketed exclamation mark mean? Does the occasional, brief high peak matter or should one take steps to avoid even a momentary peak over 85 in this case of 105 TjMax?

I haven't done anything unusual to the machine or with the machine and it's supposed to be a reasonably capable laptop. The extractor fan seems to be working OK too, so I simply don't know what sensible measure(s) to take. :(

Here are my screenshot and register dump, without the MS flight sim product having been run:
CoreTemp-Scr DA 22Jly10.png
CoreTemp-Dump DA 22Jly10.txt
Any advice or re-direction you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Best wishes,

David
London

PS: since posting this I have also run the MS flight simulator and learned how to log Core Temp data. So here it is too, in case it's helpful to you.
CT-Log 18-04-50 Jul-22-2010.csv
On this occasion the computer didn't shut down, but it does seem that the temperature is exceeding the rule of thumb. Incidentaly, it's been quite a hot summer too: maybe it's as simple as keeping the room cooler?? But I'd love to know if there's anything more fundamental that would keep the PC running cooler all the time ...

Again thanks to you and anyone else who might be able to offer advice or helpful links on this :?

D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DavidJA

Re: Sony Viao VGN-Z31VN shutting down at bad moments!

Post by DavidJA »

Just as a matter of courtesy: I am now travelling on business, so may not be able to acknowledge any reply immediately. Will do so soonest on return. Thanks.

David

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Hi David,

That definitely looks like a very bad overheating issue.
It could cause shutdowns and stability issues if it heats up so much even during light loads.
Basically my first recommendation is to clean out the ventilation ducts of the laptop using a compressed air can (be careful, and hold it upright).
Beyond that, I don't know. You may need to contact Sony to service the machine.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

DavidJA

Post by DavidJA »

Thanks very much for your assessment - and for your understanding during my current travels.

I have the compressed air can and understand that it should only be used when the PC is off and already cold and that the compressed air can should be held upright to avoid dispensing super-cold liquid gas.

Two related practical questions, if I may:

1. Is there anything else to be careful about? For example, should one not emit the compressed air at "full power" but rather at half-power? Anything else (without putting you to too much trouble here)

2. I am only going to blow into the ventilation exhaust without opening up the case to pin the fan (unless you advise against this - in any case I am not qualified to open the PC casing at all, so it would be a service job right away!). The only advice on the Sony forum for self-help suggested the vent exhaust was on the underside of the VAIO machines, but I don't think that can be right. I've attached a pic of what I think is the exhaust on the side of the machine: the metal heat exchanger fins seem to be visible behind the plastic. Is this correct?
iPhone pics 10 Aug 10 006.JPG
Again many thanks for whatever advice you feel able to provide.

Best wishes,

David
iPhone pics 10 Aug 10 006.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Discussion”