Core Temp - FAQ

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Core Temp - FAQ

Post by The Coolest »

1. What is TjMax?
    Tjunction Max (TjMax) is the maximum temperature the manufacturer has rated their processor at. This value represents the maximum temperature the hottest part of the processor core should not exceed.
    This value should not be confused with the TCaseMax rating, which indicates the maximum temperature the top-center of the processor's heatspreader should not exceed.
    If your CPU is rated for 100C TjMax, and it was nearing the 100C value in the temperature fields, that is a sign of overheating. The temperature should not exceed this value, or it may cause instability, shorten the life of the CPU and cause massive performance issues.
    A rule of thumb dictates that the temperature should be kept around 20C or lower below the TjMax value while under full load.
  2. What is considered to be a safe temperature for my processor?
    For processors with the "TjMax" value being shown in Core Temp it is usually considered best to keep the temperature 15-20C below that value when the processor is under full load.
    For chips which don't provide a TjMax value, such as the AMD K8 family of chips, it's best to keep the temps under 70C full load.
  3. Should I get the 32bit or 64bit version?
    If you are not sure which version to get, my suggestion is to get the installer. It will install the correct files for your system, this way you don't have to worry about it.
    If you still prefer to download the standalone version then you can select the proper download the following way:
    If you have a 32bit OS, then the 32bit version is the only one that's going to work.
    On a 64bit OS, both version will function, but since the 64bit version is native for the OS it should run faster - or more efficiently, and this is my recommendation.
    32bit OS - 32bit Core Temp.
    64bit OS - 64bit Core Temp.
  4. I can only see a single temperature reading.
    AMD processors based on the Phenom and Phenom II (Athlon II, Sempron II, Turion II, etc.) and all of AMD's new CPUs such as the FX and APU series only have a single thermal sensor.
    Thus Core Temp will only display a single CPU temperature reading. There is no way of getting a per-core reading on these processors.
  5. Why doesn't Core Temp display all of my processor's cores/threads?
    The first thing to do is launch 'Task Manager' and go into the 'Performance' tab. Look at the processor load graphs, you should see the equivalent amount of graphs as there are threads in your processor (4 for a Core 2 Quad, 8 for a Core i7 with HT enabled). There could be two reasons for Windows not to use all of the available cores/threads:
    1. An incorrect BIOS setting.
    2. Incorrectly configured OS, or OS related software problems or limitations.
    Follow these steps to resolve the problem:
    First, make sure that none of the cores are disabled in the BIOS.
    If all cores are in fact enabled, then the problem is most likely to do with the OS settings.
    You would have to go into 'msconfig' by pressing the Windows Key + R keys and typing "msconfig" (without the quotes) in the window that pops up and then clicking on 'OK'.
    Go into the 'Boot' tab ('Boot.ini' under XP) and then click on the 'Advanced' button.
    Make sure that 'Number of processors' ('/NUMPROC' in XP) check-box is unchecked.
    OK all of the windows and restart your computer.
  6. Why does my AMD processor's temperature always read 0C/32F?
    On older processors based on the Athlon 64 core (K8) this is usually caused by a problematic thermal sensor in the processor, this is a pretty uncommon issue.
    On CPUs starting with the Phenom architecture AMD has introduced the ACC function, it allowed the early Phenoms to achieve higher overclocks, and on the Phenom II based processors it allowed unlocking of extra cores and L3 cache.
    Some motherboards include a Core unlock feature, which is based on ACC as well.
    In most cases disabling these features in the BIOS will bring temperature readings back.
  7. Why does my FX series processor or A-series APU only show half the cores than in previous versions?
    In Core Temp version 1.17, a change was introduced which accurately enumerates physical and logical cores/threads in the system.
    FX, Opteron and many of the A4\A6\8\10 APUs (bulldozer based) processors are composed of groups of "modules", which consist of 2 integer processing units and 1 floating point unit.
    Core Temp is now aligned to how AMD themselves enumerate the processing resources in these processors, and these modules are now considered a "core" by Core Temp, meaning that from now on it will detect the processors as having n Cores and 2n Threads.
    For some more details please read the following articles:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/251758/bull ... -haunt-amd
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14804/amd-settlement
  8. Why is the temperature of my FX, Phenom, Athlon based processor lower than the ambient temperature?
    From the AMD 10h and up to the 16h family of processors (Phenom, FX, A-series APUs), the digital thermal sensor did not report an absolute temperature value anymore, but a reading with a certain offset, which is unknown. It is estimated that this offset is between 10 - 20c.
  9. Installing a plug-in.
    If your plug-in does not come with an installer, you will have to install it manually.
    There are a few simple steps to follow:
    - Create a "plugins" folder where 'Core Temp.exe' is located.
    - Inside of "plugins" folder, create a folder for your plug-in, you can give it any name.
    - Put the plug-in files in that new folder.
    - Restart Core Temp.
  10. Installing a new language.
    - Create a "languages" folder where 'Core Temp.exe' is located.
    - Put the language file in this folder.
    - Restart Core Temp.
    - Go to Options --> Settings and pick your preferred language, then click OK.
  11. Uninstalling Core Temp.
    - Go to to Start --> Control Panel --> 'Programs and Feature'/'Add or Remove programs'.
    - Select Core Temp from the list and click Uninstall.
  12. Core Temp displays '(!)' next to the temperature value, what does it mean?
    (!) represents a warning notifying the user that his processor has reached a critical temperature at least once while Core Temp has been running.
    This is an indication to a severe overheating issue and should be attended to as soon as possible to prevent instability and damage to components.
  13. Core Temp displays '(?)' next to the temperature value, what does it mean?
    (?) represents an invalid temperature reading.
    This is uncommon on AMD processors, and is most often seen in the issue covered by section #5 of this FAQ.
    On Intel processors it sometimes happens when the thermal sensor is not functioning properly or is simply disabled.
    When an Intel CPU has reached the TjMax and the temperature keeps climbing, the reading will also indicate an invalid value provided by the sensor, but it is usually still functioning properly. Situations such as these will most likely to also display the (!) next to the temperature as well, indicating severe overheating.
    In cases when the sensor in disabled, Core Temp may wrongly report an extremely high temperature of close or over 150C with a (?) sign next to it, but not (!). This is usually an indication to disabled sensor, since the processor would shut down at much lower temperatures to protect itself against damage.
  14. What is the G15 applet in the Tools menu?
    The G15 applet is designed to be used with the Logitech G15 and G19 keyboards. It displays Core Temp data on the keyboard's LCD display.
    On systems not using the keyboard, this applet is always disabled.
  15. Why does Core Temp require administrator privileges to run?
    Core Temp requires direct access to hardware to be able to read temperature and other processor information.
    In Windows you can only access hardware using a kernel mode driver. Since Core Temp doesn't install anything permanent on your system, it loads the driver at run time, this task requires administrator rights to achieve.
  16. I have just downloaded a new version of Core Temp and now my anti virus software has flagged it as containing a virus or trojan!
    Core Temp does not contain a trojan. Core Temp contains 2 driver binaries (32bit and 64bit) as part of the executable, Core Temp extracts the drivers and starts them at run time, as discussed above. This may bring up a red flag in some antivirus scanners triggering them to believe that Core Temp contains a virus or trojan code.
    Usually AV companies patch this kind of thing up very quickly and the warning goes away after an update.
    My systems use the latest updates of AV software and the files are scanned before being brought online on http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp. Most other respectable download sites use protection as well and scan the software before putting it online as well, although I can't vouch for anybody else.
  17. Why does Core Temp say that my processor is not supported?
    Core Temp supports all AMD processors starting with the Athlon64 family.
    Intel processors are supported starting with the Core series. Pentium 4, D, M and older processors do not have the required digital sensor integrated to allow Core Temp to properly function.
    Same goes for the Xeon processors, only CPUs starting the Xeon LV (Yonah core), Xeon 3000 series and Xeon 5100 series and up are supported.
  18. Core Temp doesn't display VID for my processor.
    Voltage ID (VID) is not supported on any of Intel's "Core iX" series of processors predating the Sandy Bridge architecture.
  19. Core Temp reports incorrect vcore in the VID field.
    VID is not the same as VCore. VCore is the actual voltage the processor is being fed by the motherboard.
    VID is the recommended voltage the processor should be running at at the current power state, this is a predetermined value, programmed by the CPU manufacturer. When the processor settings, especially the VCore is kept at default settings, Core Temp will provide a good approximation of the real VCore, but if you change the setting using the BIOS or by other means, Core Temp's VID readings should be ignored.
  20. Does Core Temp implement overheating protection?
    Yes, please see the Options menu.
  21. Does Core Temp allow to customize the Notification area (system tray) display?
    Yes, please see the Options menu, then go to Settings and Notification area.
  22. Does Core Temp support the new Windows 7 taskbar features?
    Yes, please see the Options menu, then go to Settings and Windows 7 Taskbar.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

foro9
New User

Re: Core Temp - FAQ

Post by foro9 »

The Coolest wrote:
  1. What is TjMax?
    Tjunction Max (TjMax) is the maximum temperature the manufacturer has rated their processor at. This value represents the maximum temperature the hottest part of the processor core should not exceed.
    This value should not be confused with the TCaseMax rating, which indicates the maximum temperature the top-center of the processor's heatspreader should not exceed.
  2. Does Core Temp implement overheating protection?
    Yes, please see the Options menu.
Hello,

I am trying to see how to implement overheating protection, but I cannnot find this in the Options menu.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

A_DEER
New User

Post by A_DEER »

I created an account just to tell you that your reply was freaking hilarious. XD
Thanks for Core Temp, I don't know what I'd do without it!

hendy
New User

Post by hendy »

Hah that's funny deer, sometimes I rack my brains trying to figure something out and then the answer is so obvious :D Kept freezing the other day was getting on my @, but it turns out the issue wasn't core t
Henry
You might want to see nioxin reviews with viviscal reviews , see also nizoral to start tackling it now.

rashida
New User

Post by rashida »

I was using some stupid fan coolers, :oops: but now i will try core temp. which version of core temp should i use for pc and mobile?

Naki

Post by Naki »

rashida wrote:I was using some stupid fan coolers, :oops: but now i will try core temp. which version of core temp should i use for pc and mobile?
What do you mean by "mobile" - a laptop, phone, tablet/etc?
If it is a phone/tablet, what kind of phone/mobile OS - iOS, Android, Windows Phone/etc?

lesleya
New User

Post by lesleya »

I'm guessing he means a smart phone. I was wondering what core temp version to use for the latest android version?

alcpuGeek

Post by alcpuGeek »

rashida wrote:which version of core temp should i use for pc and mobile?
lesleya wrote:I was wondering what core temp version to use for the latest android version?
Please refer to this topic:
http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1945

There you can find the steps to follow for both Android and Windows Phone systems.

Please note that you are just going to connect to your PC via the mobile device, not monitor the temperature of the mobile device itself.

In order to do so, you'll have to provide the PC's IP address (or hostname) like it's stated in the 5th step:
5. Next you have to provide a host name or an IP address and the port used to connect to your machine.
Tell me in case you need any more help.

ZOldDude
New User

Post by ZOldDude »

What are the meaning of these functions under "power":

1) Package
2) IA Cores
3) GT
4) Uncore
5) DRAM

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

1) Power used by the whole chip.
2) Power used just by the cores.
3) Power used by the Graphics core.
4) It's the estimated power used by all the peripherals on the chip.
5) Power used by the DRAM controller.

Not all reading are supported on every processor, but since Haswell or Broadwell, most CPUs should have all of these fields displaying values.
Main rig:
NAS:
Secondary rigs:

goytabr
New User

Post by goytabr »

9. Installing a new language.
- Create a "languages" folder where 'Core Temp.exe' is located.
- Put the language file in this folder.
- Restart Core Temp.
- Go to Options --> Settings and pick your preferred language, then click OK.

I'm a new user and I followed all the instructions above: I downloaded the Core Temp language file for Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR.xml), created a \languages subfolder in the folder where Core Temp.exe is located, placed the language file there, but the program still loads in English, and on the "Options" window, "General" tab, no other language appears on the drop-down menu.

This is no big deal, because obviously I can use the program in English perfectly well, but still, I'd like to have that option, especially if I recommend the program to some friend who isn't so fluent in English (or who has no fluency at all, which is rather common here).

What have I done wrong? I have also tried to place the file in the same folder as the executable, but it didn't work either.

Thanks a lot in advance.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

It should look something like this:

Main rig:
NAS:
Secondary rigs:

Gianniskious

Post by Gianniskious »

Hello !

In the tray, I would like not to see the current temperature, which is fluctuating but the maximum temperature.
I ask because the constant fluctuation is a little bit annoying, it distracts me, while the maximum temperature is more stable

How do I apply this setting ?

Thank you for your time

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Go to Options -> Settings -> Notification tray and there you can set the temperature display settings.
Main rig:
NAS:
Secondary rigs:

Gianniskious

Post by Gianniskious »

Thank you for the reply.

I selected "highest temperature" and "highest temperature per processor" and the numbers keep fluctuating.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Well, yes. It shows the highest temperature of any core on the CPU.
I don't see the point of displaying the highest temp the CPU has ever reached. For that you can open up the program window and look at the Max values.
Main rig:
NAS:
Secondary rigs:

Gianniskious

Post by Gianniskious »

The point of not wanting the current temperature is the constant fluctuation because is a little bit annoying because it distracts me.
The max temperature is more stable.

Also, if you consider it, the point of seeing the current temperature is also meaningless.

What we need is the average temperature which is by far more useful than the current or the max.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

The point of the program is to display the core temperature, and that's what it does. It makes no sense to look at the maximum temperature your CPU has reached potentially hours/days/weeks ago.
You can increase the polling interval in the settings, that way it will change less often and be less distracting.
Main rig:
NAS:
Secondary rigs:

Return to “Bug reports”