Login | Register

Confused by reading

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
  • Author
Confused by reading

Postby Bolton » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:41 am

As you can see below, both my core temps are nowhere near the Tj. Max, so I don't know why it's considered critical temperature? Can somebody shed light on the discrepancy? Thanks.

Bolton

Re: Confused by reading

Postby The Coolest » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 am

That is odd.
Could you please attach a register dump? (Tools menu)
Member of our O/C Folding @ Home team
"<The_Coolest> you can't unwaste wasted CPU cycles" - Start FOLDing now!
Main rig:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.5GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (+ HDDs) / GPU: HD5450 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBXL RipJaws X - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rig:
Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ Stock / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 4GB total / PSU: FSP ATX350-PNR 350W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors
The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bolton » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Attached
Attachments
CoreTemp-Dump.txt
(64.28 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Bolton

Postby The Coolest » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks. Looks normal from that dump.
Is this an on and off thing or it stays like that for a while?
Could you perhaps try to get a dump while this is happening?

The CPU has flags in an MSR which indicates that the core is overheating, it's called PROCHOT. If this flag is 'raised', you will see the temperature in red. A (!) indicates that Core Temp has registered the PROCHOT flag and simply shows it as a notification to the user that overheating has occurred. I can't really tell why this flag would be raised at such a low temperature, my only guess is some sort of glitch with the CPU or a corrupted value has been read from the MSR and incorrectly interpreted by Core Temp for whatever reason.
Member of our O/C Folding @ Home team
"<The_Coolest> you can't unwaste wasted CPU cycles" - Start FOLDing now!
Main rig:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.5GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (+ HDDs) / GPU: HD5450 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBXL RipJaws X - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rig:
Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ Stock / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 4GB total / PSU: FSP ATX350-PNR 350W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors
The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bolton » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:44 pm

The Coolest wrote:Thanks. Looks normal from that dump.
Is this an on and off thing or it stays like that for a while?
Could you perhaps try to get a dump while this is happening?

The CPU has flags in an MSR which indicates that the core is overheating, it's called PROCHOT. If this flag is 'raised', you will see the temperature in red. A (!) indicates that Core Temp has registered the PROCHOT flag and simply shows it as a notification to the user that overheating has occurred. I can't really tell why this flag would be raised at such a low temperature, my only guess is some sort of glitch with the CPU or a corrupted value has been read from the MSR and incorrectly interpreted by Core Temp for whatever reason.

Thanks for the reply. The dump was taken when both temps showed red. My guess is there might be something wrong with prochot flagging false positives, since my CPU is constantly throttled. This might be a clue.
Bolton

Return to Discussion