Does Core Temp have malware/adware again!?

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
Naki

Does Core Temp have malware/adware again!?

Post by Naki »

Not again! You used to have some junk software bundled with Core Temp a while ago, and many complained, plus Core Temp was removed as a suggestion from many software review websites, saying it has malware in it, so they thus do not recommend using Core Temp at all. I think it was in fact a privacy-invading, sensitive private info-grabbing piece of junk malware named "Relevant Knowledge". Then, thankfully you removed that.

Now however I again see this, see screenshot, attached. Why is this showing? Can at least an option be added to hide this POS from main window? :eek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does Core Temp have malware/adware again!?

Post by The Coolest »

It's been there for about 18 months now, and to be honest, I haven't had a single complaint or mention about it in all of this time.
This isn't just some adware\malware, it's a driver or bios update tool. A user has to purchase it, so there is nothing they can accidentally install on their system.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Naki

Post by Naki »

The Coolest wrote:It's been there for about 18 months now, and to be honest, I haven't had a single complaint or mention about it in all of this time.
This isn't just some adware\malware, it's a driver or bios update tool. A user has to purchase it, so there is nothing they can accidentally install on their system.
Okay, I guess the the other users are likely blind then? Or too lazy to report & create a forum account for this.
I know what it is. Paid or Trial software, can we please have this link gone? Can you move it to About maybe? Ot maybe move to Settings in some corner (of General tab for example), not with too invasive/too large font?

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

I don't think so. I just think not many really care, and understand that developers still have to make a buck somehow.
So, I don't have plans to move it right now. I don't really see a problem with it.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Naki

Post by Naki »

The Coolest wrote:1) I don't think so. I just think not many really care, and understand that developers still have to make a buck somehow.
2) So, I don't have plans to move it right now. I don't really see a problem with it.
1) I agree, I know making complex system software such as Core Temp is not easy, nor comes easily. I know it takes lots of hard work & time & efforts to do this.
2) Okay, thanks. I hope you can consider it some time in the future.

Quickrick
New User

Post by Quickrick »

18 months and no one else complained???!! You must be deaf, dumb, blind and stupid. Sorry for the insults, but lets be clear, you don't make it easy for anyone to complain. AND YES I get the malware warning too. And I think it is totally disgusting for you to stoop that low. Furthermore, I would have made a donation long ago...but NOT WHEN YOU IMBED MALWARE!!!! When you do THAT you can, well, stick it where the sun doesn't shine. And no, I have not complained before...probably one of thousands because you have to go through all the crap of signing up, waiting for an e-mail to come through...etc, etc. Who the hell has time for all that fawntalroy.

Simply put, if you don't have the decency not to imbed malware and then, when someone complains you don't think it matters???!!!???

You think we like getting malware? You really are stupid.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Considering I replied in August of last year, it's closer to 2 years now. And yes, no one else complained.
I don't know which version you downloaded or from where, but Core Temp, downloaded from the Core Temp home page does not come with any type of malware, embedded or otherwise.
There are two things it does come with: An offer to put a shortcut to an online game during installation. And a link to driver agent in the program's UI, which is opt in only, and can't be accidentally installed.
Some AV software may still flag it due to the way the executable is constructed with the driver binaries integrated into it, but I have not had any such complaints at all in recent memory.

If you installed Core Temp and got malware, it must have been downloaded from a 3rd party website with their own installer. I had that happen to users before, but in such case there is not much I can do, nor should I be held responsible.
Main rig:
NAS:
Secondary rigs:

Hate2Register2Post
New User

Post by Hate2Register2Post »

I just downloaded the latest version and there were many things I disagree with.
My first observation was the intrusive installer, this completely threw me off because I thought I had clicked a phishing site or something.
Second, it is bundled with some game by default through the installer.
And third, YES, I noticed that link. I Clicked it, and it redirected me to some other software that I am not remotely interested in.
I notice these things and first thing I do is go in the support forums, not even a minute later I'm in this thread.
The Coolest wrote:It's been there for about 18 months now, and to be honest, I haven't had a single complaint or mention about it in all of this time.
I absolutely agree with quickrick. No one has the time to register just to complain about your bad design decisions, in fact I don't most of the time but seeing you ignorant hubris that no one cares, prompted me to register to let you know it is not only just one or two people. We are many and most of us would rather uninstall and move on. I myself will just use the old 0.99.8 I had on a drive.

I understand you need to make money, if you need the shekels, please don't resort to crappy tactics like that, Please. If you'd like, add a "donate to my paypal" link on the application, under the about, and on your home page or something like that. And if possible, revert to a portable version that you don't have to install, it's a nuisance to install software, simplicity is best.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like the installer, you can use the portable zip file located in the 'More downloads' section. If you don't like my bad design decisions, no one is forcing you to use the software.
The installer (for v1.12.1 at the time of writing) on Core Temp's homepage uses a standard Inno Installer configuration. There's nothing special about it, I'm not sure what is so "intrusive" about it, or how it managed to "completely throw you off", I'm sorry.
As I mentioned, it comes with an option to put a shortcut on your desktop to an online game. You can untick that option, or you can just delete the shortcut afterwards if you don't want it.
Main rig:
NAS:
Secondary rigs:

meimeiriver2

Post by meimeiriver2 »

Naki wrote:
Okay, I guess the the other users are likely blind then? Or too lazy to report & create a forum account for this.
I know what it is. Paid or Trial software, can we please have this link gone? Can you move it to About maybe? Ot maybe move to Settings in some corner (of General tab for example), not with too invasive/too large font?
"DriverAgent's purpose is to scan your PC" 'Nuf said. It's malware; subsidiarily, a very fishy site. NEVER trust any third-party site with scanning your computer and offering you 'updated' drivers. If Windows 10 ever needs updated drivers, then Microsoft will do that for you. Period. This scam is as old as Win 95, and no reputable company ought to promote these type of sites.

N.B. Even if an alleged 'updated' driver they offered doesn't contain a virus/malware itself per se, the fact that they wish to scan your PC is nefarious enough. Anno 2019, ppl should be wise enough never to these scam-sites like that.

meimeiriver2

Post by meimeiriver2 »

The Coolest wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like the installer, you can use the portable zip file located in the 'More downloads' section. If you don't like my bad design decisions, no one is forcing you to use the software.
No offense (my posts are still being moderated, it seems, so this may not even make it), but this 'Take it or leave it' attitude is, frankly, not very mature. Despite the fact that everyone understands you guys need to make money, linking to a shady site that offers to 'update' your drivers, I'm convinced there's not a bone in your body that truly believes that anyone taking them up on such third-party offers is a sound idea. In fact, everyone and their dog knows that fishy sites offering you to update your drivers is, in fact, a very bad idea. Always has been.

If you guys want to make money this way per se, please, find another, more reputable site/venue to advertise for.

Naki

Post by Naki »

I beg to disagree.
Windows 10 does not always and not necessarily install the best drivers for all PC/laptop/tablet PC systems on the planet.
Sometimes certain drivers Microsoft offers may be slow, glitchy, or downright bad, such as those for some USB 3.0 chips.

I agree there is no need for paid software for this, as there are good free ones, such as Snappy Driver Installer (SDI), and its fork SDI Origin. :)

Return to “Discussion”