Core Temp filled with a bunch of PUP - PUP.Optional.InstallI

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
ajkid93
New User

Core Temp filled with a bunch of PUP - PUP.Optional.InstallI

Post by ajkid93 »

So I downloaded it directly from your site, which I read in another post about not downloading from a legitimate site. I also read that at that time atleast there were two PUP that were included with Coretemp. However, I received atleast 5 offers to install various other related software. I declined them all. Anyway somehow something got installed anyways. Malwarebytes detected PUP.Optional.InstallIQ.A and I quarantined it. It could be another piece of software, however I only recently installed a few programs. Coretemp, HWmonitor, and Mumble. So it has to be one of the three, and I am trying to figure out what the hell it is. I am taking a guess that it is Coretemp for the primary reason Malwarebyte prevented me from installing it at first, it quarantined Coretemp by default, when I ran it. I had to whitelist it to allow it to install. Then I was presented with atleast 5 Accept or Decline prompts. I Declined all of them.

Here is a list of all my installed programs

7-Zip 9.22 (x64 Edition)
AMD Catalyst Install Manager
AMD Overdrive
Anker Precision Laser Gaming Mouse version 1.3
Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver
avast! Internet Security
CCleaner
Core Temp 1.0 RC6
Corsair k90 Gaming Keyboard Driver 1.0
Corsair Link
Corsair Link USB Dongle (Driver Removal)
CPUID CPU-Z 1.69.2
CPUID HWmonitor 1.25
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows 1.25 (WD)
Deluge 1.3.6
FileHippo.com Update Checker
FlashFXP 4
Google Chrome
Half-Life 2
HitmanPro 3.7
Intel SSD Toolbox
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Version 2.0.1.1004
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 - 10.0.30319
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 - 10.0.30319
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x64 - 11.0.50727
Mumble 1.2.5
Natural Selection 2
Soundblaster Recon3d PCIe
Speccy
Teamspeak 3 Client
Viscosity 1.4.8
VLC media player 2.1.3

Now I am positive it is Coretemp, http://www.herdprotect.com/coretemp_123 ... b729d.aspx

ajkid93
New User

Re: Core Temp filled with a bunch of PUP - PUP.Optional.Inst

Post by ajkid93 »

Further research lead me to http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... p?t=700591 which discusses people installing your software and having their accounts hacked. I am not going to install this ever again. I just reformatted my hdd and reinstalled windows thanks for that.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

"PUP.Optional.InstallIQ.A" is how Malwarebytes may pick up the installer file itself. If you look up what PUP stands for, it means Potentially Unwanted Program. This doesn't imply anything to the sort of Virus/Trojan/Maleware. The installer makes offers to install optional software which you can opt out of.
This means that there was nothing 'bad' installed on your system, and there was no reason for you to reinstall Windows.
If you take a look at the last few posts in that thread you linked to (which is over 2 years old by the way), you'll notice that there is a response from both myself and W3i regarding that incident.
There are no upsides to either myself or InstallIQ in distributing any kind of maleware, and we don't.
The fact that some antivirus software like to pick up such installer packages and flag them with scary code names scares users out of using legitimate software.
Also, Core Temp is also available as a standalone download (zip file, no installers), in More downloads.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Jorge

Post by Jorge »

I find the convoluted installation process with all the garbage-ware offers to be an insult and total PITA so I no longer recommend Core Temp to people as I have also had garbage-ware install even when I declined all offers. I'd suggest that you find a different means to receive compensation for your applet. It's just not worth the hassle to me and a lot of other people.

I belive that most people would kick in $5. for the applet just so they didn't have to deal with all the garbage-ware crap. Considering you probably have thousands of downloads per year it would seem like if 10% of those folks caughed up $5. you'd be fairly compensated.

jamiehavok
New User

Post by jamiehavok »

by clicking more downloads their is a standalone installer available that wont install all the malware that the download manager does in the main download. its pretty crummy for an official site of a programme to use these installers though, you expect it from free software download sites you should never use but an official site - no.

Return to “Discussion”