Login | Register

High CPU usage

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
  • Author
High CPU usage

Postby doverae » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:43 am

Hi e1. I am having over heating and high CPU usage due to back ground programs running and/or system startup programs running and I dont know where to go to find these programs to disable and/or delete. plz help getting very frustrated. I have to keep a fan blowing on my laptop to keep it cool during some games I play. tyvm ♥
doverae
New User

Re: High CPU usage

Postby The Coolest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:35 am

You can open Task Manager by right clicking on the task bar.
Go to the processes tab and click on "Display all processes" button at the bottom.
Then click the "CPU" tab at the top. It should sort all of your processes by CPU utilization. "System Idle Process" should be ignored, as it's the 'idle' time of the CPU.
When you find the process which uses up the CPU time, you can right click on it and select Open File Location. Then you can end the process and delete the file in the explorer window.
Member of our O/C Folding @ Home team
"<The_Coolest> you can't unwaste wasted CPU cycles" - Start FOLDing now!
Main rig:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.5GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (+ HDDs) / GPU: HD5450 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBXL RipJaws X - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rig:
Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ Stock / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 4GB total / PSU: FSP ATX350-PNR 350W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors
The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby doverae » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:51 am

The Coolest wrote:You can open Task Manager by right clicking on the task bar.
Go to the processes tab and click on "Display all processes" button at the bottom.
Then click the "CPU" tab at the top. It should sort all of your processes by CPU utilization. "System Idle Process" should be ignored, as it's the 'idle' time of the CPU.
When you find the process which uses up the CPU time, you can right click on it and select Open File Location. Then you can end the process and delete the file in the explorer window.

tyvm for this info. If I delete these processes will it cause some programs not to work and if so how do I know which processes r safe to delete? ♥
doverae
New User

Postby The Coolest » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:14 am

Did you identify what process it is that's eating CPU time? I can't answer that question without knowing what that process is.
Member of our O/C Folding @ Home team
"<The_Coolest> you can't unwaste wasted CPU cycles" - Start FOLDing now!
Main rig:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.5GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (+ HDDs) / GPU: HD5450 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBXL RipJaws X - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rig:
Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ Stock / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 4GB total / PSU: FSP ATX350-PNR 350W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors
The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Discussion