Overheat Protection

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
sbertolucci
New User

Overheat Protection

Post by sbertolucci »

I've just installed and trying Core Temp.
Very nice piece of software. I especially like the overheat protection which actually prevents the abruptly shutdown of the computer when TjMax is reached.
I also appreciated the Execute Program feature. I ran a powercfg -s <powerprofile> with a low power profile and was able to keep running the computer without hybernating it.
Thinking of this I suggest for future releases (maybe it's already been done) to be able to have an action like "switch to power profile" when a certain threshold is reached and "switch back to original power profile" when the CPU cools down enough.
Stefano

Jorge

Re: Overheat Protection

Post by Jorge »

Your PC should not shut down when you hit TjMax. It should reduce the power and frequency of the CPU, i.e. throttle it until it cools down. That being said there is no reason why you should be operating any CPU at TjMax in normal operation even in video games or sustained heavy use. The only time a CPU should be near TjMax is during stress testing, depending on how well your CPU is cooled. What you are suggesting Core Temp do is already a feature of most modern CPUs.

If your CPU is running hot and you aren't over-volting/overclocking it to it's limits, then you may have a heatsink fan issue or dust that needs to be removed to allow proper cooling.

Return to “Discussion”