W3i.IQ5.fraud Malware

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
kenwoodts850

W3i.IQ5.fraud Malware

Post by kenwoodts850 »

I just tried to install coretemp_1236.exe which I downloaded from here and Spybot S&D said it was infected with the W3i.IQ5.fraud malware. Anybody else have this happen and is there another source of the software?

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: W3i.IQ5.fraud Malware

Post by The Coolest »

I don't know why Spybot thinks that the installer contains Malware, because it doesn't.
It is adware, meaning that you get an offer to install optional software, but you can opt out by clicking on Decline.
This is a false positive.

In case you don't want to use the installer, you can still get the standalone version, in "More downloads" below the download link.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

kenwoodts850

Post by kenwoodts850 »

After further investigation it appears that “Core Temp32.zip” that you can find under “More Downloads” is as you say, malware free. This leads me to the conclusion that if “Core Temp” is not problem, then the problem must lie with the installer, “Install IQ”, that is used. I guess that is not all that surprising as “IQ” is in the name of the detected malware and also in the name of the installer. Perhaps another flavor of installer is in order.

As far as being able to opt out, I found that even if I selected “Skip All Free Offers”, Spybot S&D still indicated the registry was altered and detected the “W3i.IQ5.fraud” malware. And lastly, as to it being only adware, that is not universally believed. I found a lot of places the called it a “Trojan Horse” as well as malware. Of course everyone has their own opinion but I would just as soon err on the side of caution.

Thanks for the link without the installer.

Dexter

Post by Dexter »

Hi Kenwood, I haven't used Spybot for a long time, it used to give false positives way too often, I use Kaspersky Internet Security exclusively now, it's well worth the $50 per year
anyway, I just ran a full scan on CoreTemp and the Gadget and they came up clean, no problems, no vulnerabilities etc...
I have no hesitation on running the App at all.

Here you go, On Special at $40 per year, Buy 2 years, it's a bargain :) http://www.buykaspersky.com.au/kaspersk ... urity.html

Hope that helps
Cheers
Dexter

kenwoodts850

Post by kenwoodts850 »

Dexter wrote:Hi Kenwood, I haven't used Spybot for a long time, it used to give false positives way too often, I use Kaspersky Internet Security exclusively now, it's well worth the $50 per year
anyway, I just ran a full scan on CoreTemp and the Gadget and they came up clean, no problems, no vulnerabilities etc...
I have no hesitation on running the App at all.

Here you go, On Special at $40 per year, Buy 2 years, it's a bargain :) http://www.buykaspersky.com.au/kaspersk ... urity.html

Hope that helps
Cheers
Dexter
You have got to be kidding me. This is pure and simple spam by Kaspersky. I wouldn't use Kaspersky now on a bet.

Dexter

Post by Dexter »

Hey Kenwood, I'm not going to try to convince you I'm not a Kaspersky spammer

I was only trying to help but your obviously paranoid, you would fit right in at some conspiracy forum somewhere

But wait !! by saying this I may be on the level

But wait !! I might be saying this just to make you think I'm on the level ????

But wait !! etc.....

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa Grow up you jerk Image

Return to “Discussion”