Is There Really A Problem?

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
JackInCT

Is There Really A Problem?

Post by JackInCT »

I'm using Core Temp on my laptop (Intel dual core) [it's about 6 yrs old]; everything is original. I have this intermittent/sporadic problem of the temp climbing to 100 degrees upon boot up in a matter of minutes without doing ANYTHING re using any program [it takes several minutes for it to complete the boot]. This laptop is only used 2-3 times a month. I can visually check to see if its fan is running, and it always is. There is no dust, etc., blocking the air vents and it's set up a hard table (nothing underneath that would block the air vents). These events are basically episodes that last 5-6 cold bootups in succession. The OS works just fine (XP Home). As quickly as it started, sooner or later, it no longer does this. I have no reason to believe that this is a Core Temp glitch of some kind. This has been going on for almost a year. I'm mystified as to what the problem is. I have difficulty believing that the fan is operating intermittently since I can see it spin, but of course I can't even begin to estimate its RPM since its whirring; it's not spinning so slowly that I can see its vanes. I'm looking for some kind of a process of elimination approach to see if these highs temps are valid, and what is making them occur. Thanks.

JackInCT

Re: Is There Really A Problem?

Post by JackInCT »

Question rescinded-mystery solved. After cold soaking the laptop in an exterior hallway for an extended period, during a cold boot, I observed the temp rising, and , with the aid of a high intensity mini-flashlight, lifted up the laptop, and behold, the fan was not operating; just for the sake of seeing what would happen, I taped a fan blade through a vent slot with a jeweler's screwdriver, and it started turning. But a few minutes later, the temp started to rise, and the fan again had stopped. I obviously have a need to put in a new fan which I'm hoping would be a home user doable task.

Return to “Discussion”