HOT laptop: how to modulate clockspeed ?

A place to discuss topics related to Core Temp
QuEP

HOT laptop: how to modulate clockspeed ?

Post by QuEP »

Tried out several temperature monitors, but this one seems to be the best.
I do 3D custom equipment design, using Solidworks for equipment design, simulation and rendering.
The equipment Layout assemblies are huge (10 000 to 50 000 components opened during rendering).
Unfortunately I need to take the computer to clients often, so I bought the fastest laptop I could find.
This Clevo X7200 based luggable has a Xeon X5690 and a Nvidia Quadro 5010M crammed inside !
I will not complaint that this rocket runs hot (consumption Xeon = 130W, and nVidia = 100W).
I need its turbo power when modeling for many long days, because then it uses only one core.
The potential problem arrises when a project is finished and I start to render.

When I bought it, I knew I could not run it full throttle for many hours like on my big (and slow) desktop workstation.
During the first test drive it seemed to stabilize at 95°C after 20 minutes with all 6 cores running 100% (Core Temp 1.0 shows Tj Max as 101°C).
Although the manufacturer is not worried (they assured me that 100°C is OK for this kind of CPU, and claims it will throttle back when running high).
HOWEVER : I only want to use their system as a last resort safety option (this speed monster is too expensive to risk for a few minutes gain).

CAN YOU RECOMMEND ME AN EXECUTABLE PROGRAM TO BE ACTIVATED by your program above say 92° C ?
I was thinking about (temporary) modulating the maximum clockspeed down to a settable speed !?
I don't want to tingle with already factory controlled fanspeed.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HOT laptop: how to modulate clockspeed ?

Post by The Coolest »

I'm sorry, but I'm not aware of such an application.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

stasio

Post by stasio »

Look at "ThrottleStop" application.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardwar ... guide.html

QuEP

Post by QuEP »

Ok, thanks ! Maybe I need to talk to the German Supplier, because they seem to have installed something like it.

Yesterday I did run a 45 minute Full load test, and that kind of showed how the CPU temp safety works.
Within 10 minutes the hottest Core reached 97° C and from that point on the CPU Clock multiplier started to be controlled in an alternating pattern.
Once every minute the Clock Multiplier was dropped from its default 26x 133.32 MHz down to 12x for about 4 seconds.
As far as I can see that seems to be enough to drop the core temp down to 80° C right at the end of such 4 second modulation.
Naturally the core temp races back up within seconds to about a degree under its prior temp, and after maybe 15 sec to about the same temp again.
But it did slow down the climbing rate though ! After 15 min of full load the fan noise picked up distinctively (around 98°C).
It hit 99° C a couple of times (around 25 minutes), but after that kept running max 98° up to the finish in 45 minutes.

SO THIS SAFETY ROUTINE SEEMS TO WORK PROPERLY, BUT ITS NEAR PROXIMITY TO Tj Max (101°C) IS VERY SCARY !
It would be nice to inititate such routine by yourself at a lower temperature, and maybe lengthen the 4 sec pattern.

WEIRD UPDATE FROM TWICE AS LONG RUN THAT KEPT BELOW 91° !
This morning I ran the same test on its normal full resolution, which requires twice the CPU time.
When the CPU temps reached 85° within 3.5 minutes, I got worried about the expected 1.5 hour run length.
I turned on the Airco unit and adjusted it on a chilly 18° C (instead of 22°C room temp without Airco), and adjusted its fan on full power toward the Laptop.
Of course it took a while before the room got a little colder, but the temperature climbing rate was much slower
It actually peaked at 95°(after 40 min), and then went back down to 91° (after 55 min), and stayed there up to the finish in 80 min !

I personally find it hard to believe, but this simple "cold weather" experiment has a big impact !
Anyway it is simple enough to give it a try when you have a problem, so I figured to mention it on this Forum.

BUT IF ANYBODY KNOWS A PROVEN PROCEDURE (a programmed code to initiate by Core Temp), I STILL WOULD BE HIGHLY INTERESTED.
It must be out there somewhere, because it is similar (although in opposite direction) to what over-clockers do.

THANKS FOR THE WONDERFULL CORE TEMP PROGRAM !!

Return to “Discussion”