CoreTemp Crashes Itself, and Causes Large CPU Spikes

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
Chazzen
New User

CoreTemp Crashes Itself, and Causes Large CPU Spikes

Post by Chazzen »

Basically what the title says.

I've been using CoreTemp for a very long time now, this problem just started recently (oh, say, 6 months, haven't reported this as I usually don't restart the computer, leaving it in "sleep mode"). It seems that when the computer starts, it takes CoreTemp about 30 mins. to an hour to start working, as I have it set to auto-run on start-up. That isn't the main problem either. The problem is, is that it seems to be linked to SVCHOST.exe, which causes HUGE CPU spikes, especially when It decides it's going to run multiple instances of SVCHOST. And I know it's CoreTemp, as it only happens when I run it, as when CoreTemp crashes, I restart it manually, which takes me to my next point, the crashes. Alright, so, it crashes quite often now. It never used to crash at all, and usually was pretty fast to boot-up. The crashes usually happen when I go into "settings". Then, I have to wait another hour for it to pop-up again, and I just say screw it, and put it to the taskbar.

Now, this problem only started when I updated to RC6, as before I had 0.99.7. I still have the old version, but it now is doing the samething for that as well.

It's all quite frustrating, and I'd like to know if there's some kind of fix for this? I've seen a few other places where some people are having similar/the same issues, but I haven't found a fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Chazzen

EDIT: Oh, yes, almost forgot. System Specs: Win 7 64-bit, AMD FX 6200 (Six Core Processor), 16GB of Ram, AMD Radeon HD 7770 (1GB).

Chazzen
New User

Re: CoreTemp Crashes Itself, and Causes Large CPU Spikes

Post by Chazzen »

Haha, wow. I fixed it

I decided to do some digging and find out where the tasks are held at. As task scheduler wouldn't work anymore and kept crashing. So, I go in there and....you guessed it. 50,000 files are in there...that is 50,000 auto-run tasks. Yeah...it turned out to be because my Panda Antivirus was outdated (wasn't sure if I wanted to renew it yet or not) and it kept re-writing the auto-run on start for the main program...and it was everytime I woke up and slept the computer...which is quite a bit. So yeah, Panda is now gone, and it seems 0.99.7 is working like a charm, settings and all. Not gonna even attempt RC6. As if it works, why fix it?

Thanks anyways. -Chazzen

Return to “Bug reports”