CoreTemp 64 bit caused no POST + DRAM LED issue

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
altafullahu
New User

CoreTemp 64 bit caused no POST + DRAM LED issue

Post by altafullahu »

Hey all,

So this is a two part situation, the first done by myself, the second by CoreTemp (I believe).

I was editing permissions of some folders and I think I inadvertently took ownership of a file that Windows didn't want me to (on my C:/ drive, SSD 120GB - I know I'm foolish, I've been smacking myself since yesterday for it). So some system files I believe got corrupted, luckily this was after a fresh install only a couple weeks prior so there wasn't much too it (and I keep forgetting to make a system image on my 1.5 TB external - I NEED to do that...) and so I reinstalled windows 8.1 with some clever use of Microsoft download mechanics.

As I was reinstalling my applications and software I decided to rerun CoreTemp64 (I had no issues prior to my reinstall) and it locked my PC up with about 60% CPU. I was unable to really click anywhere or do anything so I did a soft restart (second button on my tower).

And well that's when things went super south. My PC shut off instead of restarting and then when it did restart my monitor displayed nothing (I have 4 monitors - all nothing). I unplugged all the monitors and went to the onboard DVI and still nothing. I checked the side of my tower (it's see-through) and saw that my DRAM LED and my CPU LED were alternating blinks (red) every second, starting with the DRAM. I did some googling (thank God my phone was working) and decided to do some local diagnostics before I began RAM testing (it was ~ 12:00 AM at this point) and swapping. I unplugged the power, reset CMOS (I believe the method was to swap the cap from 1-2 to 2-3 for 5-10 seconds, was I supposed to turn the computer on too?) put the cap back to 1-2 and still got the alternating lights.

I pulled out two sticks of ram (2-4 slots) and I got a solid DRAM for ~ 10 seconds and then alternating. I put the RAM in slots 1-3 and same thing. I then pulled all the RAM out and did the first RAM slot and all I got was a solid DRAM light and no alternating - which leads me to believe it's just the RAM - but really I don't know. I got really angry that this happened (my PC was out of commish for ~ 3 weeks due to RMA's and parts + labor so this is extremely irritating that I was the victim of my own hubris again in terms of the first part of this post) and decided to unplug all the USBs, unplug the power and go to bed praying in the AM it would magically work.

No dice, woke up dreading and fearing the worst and the worst it was. Turned on the machine and again no POST or beeps (everything like the previous night turned on, all 5 fans were spinning + cpu + radiator fan, HDDs were spinning and my Blu-Ray drive was blinking) but nothing on the monitor.

This is where I finally come to you fine people. I am stuck, frustrated, lost and angry. I'm mainly angry at myself for trying to grant permission on my SSD for a game (FFVII I just bought off steam) when really it would have probably run just as fine on any of my other 5 hard drives. I don't know what to do really. My plan is when I get home to try all RAM sticks in each slot (4 sticks X 4 GB each) and do testing that way, if that doesn't work well I really don't know where to go from there. I JUST bought a new MoBo and CPU so having to replace them again (they were already both RMAd) would make me really frustrated.

So what do you guys think? Is CoreTemp64 to blame? My PC was running fine before I launched it and then on the restart is when things got wonky. Any and all advice is appreciated. I am currently in my office and will be checking this periodically and will arrive back at my apartment ~ 5:00 PM EST.

My CPU specs are as follows:

CPU - Haswell i7 4770K 3.5Ghz (Not overclocked) using Corsair H70 Watercooling unit
RAM - 4 sticks of 4 GB each GSkill RIPJAWS (they are ~ 3 years old)
MoBo - Asus Z87-Plus
Main HDD - 120GB SSD
Windows OS - Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
Graphics Cards: nVidia GeForece 660 GTX and 460 GTX

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. After hours of scouring the internet I have not seen one post that shows CoreTemp is capable of this so for me, this is either a brand new thing or something beyond that.

Thanks in advance.

- Usman

altafullahu
New User

Re: CoreTemp 64 bit caused no POST + DRAM LED issue

Post by altafullahu »

For anyone else that has this problem - I fixed the issue.

After doing some research I found out (and realized) Asus's Flashback utility. After using another computer to download the files to a USB I flashed my BiOS and all was well. I had to another reinstall but now everything is running smoothly and I am not planning on running CoreTemp anytime soon. It seemed it either changed the clock speed of my RAM or did something to my Mobo.

Regards.

Return to “Bug reports”