False Positive Shutdowns on Win7 64-bit

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
thehrisworld

False Positive Shutdowns on Win7 64-bit

Post by thehrisworld »

Hello all...

System: Win7 Ultimate SP1, all updates installed
Processor: AMD Athlon II P360 Dual-Core 2.30GHz
Memory: 3GB
MAchine: HP Pavilion g series laptop

CoreTemp has been giving several false positive reports of overheating in the past couple of days, worked perfectly before then.

It seems to have started, and it maybe unrelated, after the Microsoft Office SP1 64-bit update was installed as well as updates to the MS Security Essentials (CoreTemp started acting up hours after the updates)

The fan has been tested and passed all tests, the machine has been cleaned out as well as new thermal grease for the chips...

The high/low was reset 24 hours ago and displays 49/51

Shutdown temp is set at 109

Yet it still shuts down the computer...

Any thoughts?
Anyone else with a similar environment getting the same false positives?
Next step, is to uninstall and reinstall but outside of that, anyone have any similar experiences?
How to correct?

thehrisworld

Re: False Positive Shutdowns on Win7 64-bit

Post by thehrisworld »

UPDATE:

Have applied new thermal grease without any changes -- it appears the temp spikes to 112 but quickly returns to normal (53-55C)...

Googling for CPU temp spikes, one of the culprits seems to be Apple software (Why?? No clue) -- seems Bonjour and the Apple Mobile Device Service are tied to CoreTemp somehow. Since I had added some Apple software as well as updated iTunes after the Microsoft Update (that occurred just before the temp spikes started), going to take one step at a time by removing all Apple software, and if the spikes continue, roll back on the Microsoft Updates one step...

Will update as things happen...

thehrisworld

Post by thehrisworld »

UPDATE:

Only Apple software was removed (see my previous reply as to why) -- so far the temp range has been 53 to 61 (normally 49 to 55). I am working in a closed room, which can raise the temp by 3 to 5C from normal until I turn on the room fan or table fan and point it at the computer. For all tense and purposes, the CPU seems to be operating within its normal range.

Will be leaving the computer on during the weekend to see what happens -- more updates to come...

thehrisworld

Post by thehrisworld »

UPDATE:

After yesterday's update, took the laptop apart again and discovered a bare spot on the copper plate that covers the CPU - if you take the letter ' i ' without the dot and form a square that is about how 'big' it was -- sufficient to cause problems.

Re-applied the grease to be sure the chips remained covered and reset the hi/low temps and set it to sit overnight while it performed its weekly maintenance cycle...

Sunday morning: OK, weird...

Highest temp recorded is 63 (still on the high side) but the warning of overheating popped up... The lowest temp was encouraging - 46 (before was 52)

So my thoughts are it is not the app but the grease -- I could stop with the updates here but resolving my situation would probably help a few of you out here, so I continue...

Did research different Thermal Grease qualities and the one I bought is called Stars (I'm an expat in Brazil, not sure if this is common brand outside Brazil).

Did find Artic Cooling Thermal Compound MX-4 -- this has been getting lots of raves on the web. Costs more than the others -- which only supports the quality in light of the raves... Has been ordered, will update this once the grease has been applied and in use for 24 hours (probably a good week or so from now)...

I know, you wait with baited breath... HA! :-)

thehrisworld

Post by thehrisworld »

FINAL UPDATE:

Received the MX-4 via mail on Thursday and all I can say is WOW!

Cleaned the previously applied thermal grease (Stars) with isopropyl alcohol and applied the MX-4 (is a compound as opposed to a thermal grease). Started p the machine and immediately the temp was 7 degrees cooler - 48 as opposed to 55. When left standing idol overnight it will do down to 42, but for the most part the temp hovers around 48.

There was one spike to 112 but only one... still not sure what was causing the spikes and will continue to seeking out an answer, but five the last 3 days, have no reason to continue this thread.

Hope this helps someone out here...

:D

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Hi,

Thanks for all the updates and letting us all know about the progress.
New and properly applied thermal paste can do wonders to a processor's temperature indeed. I'm glad that the problem is mostly worked out now.
The high spikes can usually be ignored if you can't see the temperatures running that high in normal use.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Return to “Bug reports”