Core Temp freezes when another process loads the CPU

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
bostjan

Core Temp freezes when another process loads the CPU

Post by bostjan »

To be more precise, Core Temp 1.0 RC6 freezes when another process loads one core fully and this process has a higher priority than Core Temp. We are talking about a 6-core CPU with hyperthreading, OS is Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit SP1.

By "freezes", I mean this: The tray icons stop updating. If I right click one of them, the context menu will not come up until the CPU load is removed. And if Core Temp GUI window is already open when load occurs, all displayed values will stop updating.

I first noticed the issue when I repeated a load test later on. Initially, I tested Core Temp by launching it manually, and it worked fine even with all cores fully loaded (12 instances of cpu loading application). I later set Core Temp to start with Windows. I noticed today the problem and finally realized that Task Scheduler launches it with lower priority: 6 instead of standard 8.

While I was able to manually workaround the priority issue by raising the scheduled priority for Core Temp, it still means that when some higher process will load the CPU, Core Temp will freeze.

The problem is strange because other cores are not loaded. No cores are parked. So I do not understand, why would Core Temp not update.

Return to “Bug reports”