Coretemp incorrect VID and Multiplier 3930K

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
AzN1337c0d3r
New User

Coretemp incorrect VID and Multiplier 3930K

Post by AzN1337c0d3r »

Hi, I read many threads like this one (although not same CPU): http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2186 and discovered that if I changed power profile to Balanced, Coretemp does indeed work properly. The explanation given is that Windows forces all processors to turbo frequency in High Performance mode. I do not believe this is correct.

My hypothesis is that the method Core Temp is reading the values may be "fudged" by operating system somehow.

Here is my line of reasoning:

I was quite suspicious of my 140W system power with voltage and frequency so high to the processor, so I did some measurements messing with my BIOS.

My "idle" power with EIST/TurboBoost with "High Performance" at the 4.3 GHz @ 1.34V (CoreTemp) and is 140W read off my trusty Kill-A-Watt meter.

I turned off EIST/TurboBoost and manually adjusted my multiplier to 4.3 GHz @ 1.34V and read 170W.

Then I manually adjusted my multiplier to 12 and reduced voltage to 0.920V (as indicated by CPU-Z) and it is reading 140W again.

Thus, my observation is that my CPU is most likely running at 1.2 GHz @ 0.920V as indicated by CPU-Z instead of the 4.3 GHz @ 1.34V as indicated by CoreTemp.

Furthermore, Intel Turbo Boost Monitor reports no Turbo being used.

noorjahan
New User

Re: Coretemp incorrect VID and Multiplier 3930K

Post by noorjahan »

What is the difference between amd and intel processors? I want to build a cool gaming pc. I want to keep my budget at $800-$950. I'm going to need a good video card obviously but what processor ? I heard amd is no good but I have seen excellent gaming pcs with amd.

kope

Post by kope »

that Windows forces all processors to turbo frequency in High Performance mode. I do not believe this is correct.
You have to go for advanced settings in power options. There is option for processor power management. Minimum processor state for high performance power mode is 100% (applies for Windows 7 and Windows 8. ) Change this to 5% and problem is solved :idea:

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

AzN1337c0d3r wrote:Hi, I read many threads like this one (although not same CPU): http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2186 and discovered that if I changed power profile to Balanced, Coretemp does indeed work properly. The explanation given is that Windows forces all processors to turbo frequency in High Performance mode. I do not believe this is correct.

My hypothesis is that the method Core Temp is reading the values may be "fudged" by operating system somehow.

Here is my line of reasoning:

I was quite suspicious of my 140W system power with voltage and frequency so high to the processor, so I did some measurements messing with my BIOS.

My "idle" power with EIST/TurboBoost with "High Performance" at the 4.3 GHz @ 1.34V (CoreTemp) and is 140W read off my trusty Kill-A-Watt meter.

I turned off EIST/TurboBoost and manually adjusted my multiplier to 4.3 GHz @ 1.34V and read 170W.

Then I manually adjusted my multiplier to 12 and reduced voltage to 0.920V (as indicated by CPU-Z) and it is reading 140W again.

Thus, my observation is that my CPU is most likely running at 1.2 GHz @ 0.920V as indicated by CPU-Z instead of the 4.3 GHz @ 1.34V as indicated by CoreTemp.

Furthermore, Intel Turbo Boost Monitor reports no Turbo being used.
I've looked into this issue further.
First of all, it's important to note that Core Temp and CPU-z report frequencies differently.
While CPU-z will report the frequency of core #0 by default, and any other if you right click it and select a different core at one time, Core Temp will always display the highest frequency out of the processor cores.
For example:
Read #1. Core #0 is at 2ghz Core #1 is at 1.6ghz, 2ghz will be displayed.
Read#2. Core #0 is at 2ghz Core #1 is at 2.5ghz, 2.5ghz will be displayed.

The OS does not mess with Core Temp's multiplier readings since it's read directly from the CPU registers.
What I did notice is that the processor was going in and out of low power state very frequently, instead of staying in low power mode, like when Balanced profile is selected.
I've still not been able to confirm with CPU-z's creator which algorithm he uses for SNB and IVB multiplier, but it is most likely different than the one used in Core Temp.
kope wrote:
that Windows forces all processors to turbo frequency in High Performance mode. I do not believe this is correct.
You have to go for advanced settings in power options. There is option for processor power management. Minimum processor state for high performance power mode is 100% (applies for Windows 7 and Windows 8. ) Change this to 5% and problem is solved :idea:
I agree with this post. High Power sets the CPU to run at a 100% duty cycle, which means that Core Temp's frequency readings are probably correct in the average, over time sense.
noorjahan wrote:What is the difference between amd and intel processors? I want to build a cool gaming pc. I want to keep my budget at $800-$950. I'm going to need a good video card obviously but what processor ? I heard amd is no good but I have seen excellent gaming pcs with amd.
At this point in time, Intel processors are simply faster at just about everything than AMD CPUs, therefore an Intel based system will probably be faster.
They are also more power efficient than AMD.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Return to “Bug reports”