displays 2500k clock speed based on power saving plan?

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
sabrehawk
New User

displays 2500k clock speed based on power saving plan?

Post by sabrehawk »

Hi,

Why does core temp display the current cpu speed based on what i use as power saving plan
in windows and does not detect the REAL clock speed that is currently active unless i use
the BALANCED power plan?

Usually i have my power plan at high performance and my CPU is controlled by Asus AI Suite II
which has own settings for CPU dynamic overclocking. my CPU is set to max at 4700 mhz 47x100 FSB.
I mostly use AUTOMATIC or MAXIMUM ENERGY SAVING mode in Asus suite when im on desktop.
Usually my cpu will go to 1600 and use about 8-9 watts in that mode. Coretemp does not show 1600 then,
unless i additionally change the windows power plan to balanced, but it DOES show 8-9 watt consumption
at the same time it displays 4700 mhz (well thats nice to believe but not for real ^^) .

I dont tamper with the energy plans of windows i usually leave it on Full performance...for reasons explained
later on

since my mainboard/CPU + Asus AI are in control of whats happening and windows power plan has only a secondary
priority on things if any at all...and it rather tends to cause unwanted clock speed shifting and throttling where not
applicable. Therefor its set to Full power to eliminate unwanted sideeffects, especially in gaming.

CPU Z and every other reliable detection method including the AI SUITE II motherboard sensors will
display the dynamic cpu speed correctly no matter what power plan i have selected in windows 7 x64 control panel
and no matter which mode of performance/OC profile im using. (ASUS Z68 Pro )

CORETEMP does NOT do this. It shows 4700 always when windows power plan is set to HIGH PERFORMANCE...even
if the clock is NOT 4700 regarding to CPU Z and ASUS Tools. Refreshing doesnt change anything.

To me it feels like coretemp is using methods for detection that are not straight forward like CPU Z or the mainboard
software?

The second i set the power plan of windows to BALANCED -..coretemp will instantly display the correct and dynamically
changing values.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: displays 2500k clock speed based on power saving plan?

Post by The Coolest »

I have looked into this issue, and to be completely honest, I don't know what the problem is exactly. You're not the only one affected. It looks like any Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU behaves the same in this regard.
I've talked to CPU-z developer and confirmed that we use the same way of reading processor frequency. So the only assumption that I have right now is that the process of retrieving this information in Core Temp is more complicated somehow, which causes the CPU to go out of low power state and therefore Core Temp almost never recognizes or displays the low frequency.
One more thing to note, though. While CPU-z displays information from a specific core, Core Temp shows the highest frequency out of all the cores in the processor. I suggest you press F3 and see how the frequencies change across all of the processor's cores.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Return to “Bug reports”