Installer "Tries" to install Malware

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
HooKed
New User

Installer "Tries" to install Malware

Post by HooKed »

Your installer tries to install some kind of password manager. (Avast Detected it and blocked the install :D)
What the hell are you thinking? Trying to steal peoples passwords?
Also why the hell are you trying to install Norton Anti-Virus?
That's the worst anti virus out! Also it comes with most windows computers.
Why you think widows has so many problems with viruses!

BTW about your installer.. Well i rather not say...

Site owner please read wikipedia on Malware. Here is the link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

salsoul

Re: Installer "Tries" to install Malware

Post by salsoul »

hello Im not the site owner or affiliated with alcpu at all, but I do question your statement..

1: where did you download core temp from that gave you norton install ? version 1.0 RC2 does not install NAV it gives you an option to install the yahoo toolbar and a 3rd party search bar, which is an OPTION you can decline. you can still use core temp fine. it does not have any mal/spyware.

2. Avast is also very good at giving false positives, been reading on their support forum where an updated definition file blocked all websites with a certain type of script (harmless script) embedded.
they realised and released an update within 45mins of discovering this. I used to use avast until a definition update broke my PC in such a way I had to repair the TCPIP stack 3 times so Avast got booted in the bin where it belongs.... that would have been my first port of call...

I have been using core temp for along time and have never found any MAl/spyware packed with it...

Have you check with avast about it being a false postive ? I would have done that at the very least and also ran an online scan to verify Avasts findings EVEN before you go to a legitimate website and throw wild unsubstantiated accusations at a site owner that offers his hard work & time for free.

you should be ashamed

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

HooKed:

I'm well aware what Malware and spyware is.
Core Temp installer sometimes gets flagged incorrectly by AV software.
When you launch the installer and click Accept (first page, to install Core Temp) it brings up (up-to) 2 offers to install optional software. If you click accept, the software will be installed together with Core Temp on your system. If you click on Decline the installer will proceed to install Core Temp only.

On the other hand, this kind of thing shouldn't happen in the first place. It provides a very bad experience for the users.
I'm collecting information about these issues and forward it to the installer guys to look over and fix.
So if you could please provide a screenshot of the Avast warning, that would be great. Also specify what OS and what your default browser is.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

HooKed
New User

Post by HooKed »

Downloaded it from http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

PC Info: OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7601)

Browser: Mozilla Firefox

Any unwanted software or programs that are included within installers is Malware in my eyes.

BTW Sorry for the harsh words, i was kinda ticked off b/c i hate it when people try to install extra crap with there installers.

I'm just not going to use the installer any more.

I've also been using core temp for a long time and this is the first time i ever came across this situation.

Also why would any one need a yahoo tool bar or password manager?
I currently use at least 20 different passwords on online accounts (emails,sites,forums,online gaming accounts).

Also i noticed a few days ago (Before i got 1.0 RC2) if my pc ran low on RAM core temp had a glitch that made it show my Processor speed: 7697.26MHz.
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor @ 2.8GHz
Restarted Core Temp and i was back to normal.

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Yahoo toolbar and password manager are just two of the optional software InstallIQ provides, you don't have to install them if you don't want to. You can skip them by clicking Decline.
But if you don't want to use the installer, it's your choice, and the front page does provide you with a standalone zip version, without any installers.

Regarding the frequency, this is indeed a bug in the current build. I've tracked it down and fixed it, so the next release should not exhibit this problem anymore.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Return to “Bug reports”