If %temp% directory encrypted with EFS, CoreTemp won't start

Post about bugs you find in Core Temp so they can be addressed and fixed efficiently
ratman
New User

If %temp% directory encrypted with EFS, CoreTemp won't start

Post by ratman »

Hi,

Having a bit of a strange problem with Core Temp here...

I've encrypted quite a few directories on my computer with EFS, in the interest of data security, (one of which is C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp) and I've found that this gives rise to a reproducible bug in Core Temp.

If I have the Temp directory set to be encrypted (thus requiring any subdirectories and files to also be encrypted), Core Temp will not start, and returns the following error message:

"Driver has failed to load.
This program will not continue."

However, if I then decrypt the Temp directory, Core Temp will happily load.

Within the same Windows session, I can then close Core Temp, then re-encrypt the Windows Temp dir, and Core Temp will still load happily. However if I restart, and try to load Core Temp again with the encrypted Temp dir, Core Temp again crashes on loading.

I'm hoping that this should be a fairly simple bug to fix? From my understanding, Core Temp creates the driver each time it loads (and presumably this is created in the temp dir, hence the crashing.) Would it be possible to allow the created driver to be encrypted? Or to specify that it is stored in an alternative location?

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter,

Ratman

**EDIT** btw I've tried with the latest version and 2 prior versions to no avail :(

Return to “Bug reports”