Need advice for upgrading my system.

AMD CPU related discussions

Moderators: The Coolest, imposter

fuzion
New User

Need advice for upgrading my system.

Post by fuzion »

I found this forum via a link to Core Temp on www.tweaksrus.com.
Looks like I might have a new place to post whore... j/k :wink:

This is my system:
Opteron 148 250x11 2.75Ghz
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Patriot 2x 512MB DDR400 @ 500Mhz (with some low timings, but im not sure what anymore)

I also have a 6800GS 256MB.

I want to add more RAM, but Patriot doesn't sell my XBLK Samsung chips anymore.
I found some on ebay, but they wanted too much IMO.

I want to upgrade to an 8800GTS but I want some input as to whether it will work well with the rest of my system.

I've been looking at a whole new system as well.

I'll post some details about it later.

Thanks in advance,
-FUZiON

synaptix

Post by synaptix »

Personally I'd probably save my pennies and get a new system in a few months. If you're looking for a good upgrade now that will keep you running with your current setup for a while, I would suggest a new video card. Preferably one with 512MB GDDR3 or higher, as you will only be running 1GB of system memory (unless you can manage to find another 2x512MB set of your current RAM or perhaps a decent 2x1GB kit of something comparable).

An 8800GTS would be a good upgrade choice for your system, just wait until they've patched DX10 and the 8800 drivers before you install Vista (I'll actually be waiting until at least SP1 before I so much as think about putting Vista on my hard drive).

What were you thinking of getting as far as a new system goes?
Having problems with your AMD computer? Find varianiv in the AMD Processor Support Forum

imposter

Post by imposter »

Wait for the R600 to play around with the prices. Then you could be a opy 165+ sell off your ram and get apair of 2x1gb

Return to “AMD CPUs”