"Driver has failed to load" Win XP

Report any bugs you have with the program, so they can be fixed.

Moderator: imposter

CoreTemp-User152
New User

"Driver has failed to load" Win XP

Post by CoreTemp-User152 »

First and foremost, I LOVE this program. Thank you for this very handy utility, BUT.......

I am becoming frustrated. I have searched this forum for about 45 minutes, but all related threads seem to somehow revolve around Vista. I do not like Vista, I will not run Vista, so please do not advise that I should upgrade to Vista as a 'Fix'.

I am currently running version 0.99.3.0

Every now and then, for no apparent reason, the temperature in the system tray will just read 100 (celsius). Upon opening it, it reports that ALL 4 cores are at 100. Obviously, this isn't the case, but I can't get it read correctly. If I stop the program, and attempt to restart it, I get a message telling me that it can't load the drivers. Since it is just a simple executable file, I am unsure where to locate the drivers. the ONLY way I can get CoreTemp to run, is if I reboot my machine.

Next, about 1 out of every 5 times I restart my machine (maybe every 2 weeks), I get an error indicating the Coretemp cannot start (autostart) because the drivers are not loaded correctly. Once again, I cannot figure out any way to get this program to load unless I reboot the machine.

This problem has existed through every version of this program I have used; perhaps 3 or 4 versions I guess.

Today, I have attempted to upgrade to version 0.99.4.65 (latest?) but now I am getting an error that says the "currently loaded driver is out of date" during the startup of Windows.

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1) How can I restart CoreTemp (or unload and reload the drivers) without having to reboot my machine?

2) How do I get the new version to work, when it is apparently somehow trying to use the old drivers?

P.S> I guess maybe I should mention that my system is a quad core kentsfield, which is not currently overclocked, using a GigaByte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard, 4 gigs of RAM (3.5 recognized), and a several TerraBytes of hard drive space. Again, Win XP, Service Pack 3

Thanks in advance for any answers you may be able to provide!

The Coolest
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Coolest »

Whenever the driver locks up (for whatever reason), it won't report the correct readings and won't unload automatically when you close Core Temp (thus only a restart can help), Core Temp also can't reload the driver since it's already loaded, but is locked up.

The name of Core Temp's driver service is ALSysIO.
You can open the command line and type

Code: Select all

sc stop ALSysIO
and it should unload the driver.

The executable holds the driver binaries inside and unpacks them at run time. This is done so to make it portable and undependable of system configuration.

The latest Core Temp checks for a later driver version since that was updated, and is required for it to work properly. For some reason your system somehow manages to load the old driver at startup (even though Core Temp deletes the physical file right after Core Temp starts up).
I'm not sure what would cause that problem but something is causing the driver to hang. I've never had this problem before, neither myself nor reported by other users.
Have you reinstalled Windows since you started having this problem? Maybe it's somehow related to a problem with the OS. I can't really give you an answer off the top of my head about this.

I do hope this clears things up a little for you and answers your other questions.
Main rig:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (True Spirit 140 Direct) / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
NAS:
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB + HDDs / GPU: ATi Mach64 VT2 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rigs:
Core i3 7130U / MiniPC / SanDisk SDSSDP-128G / GPU: Intel HD 620 / Mem: 1x8GB DDR3L-1600
Xeon X3430 2.40GHz @ 3.06GHz or Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / PNY CS1111 240GB / GPU: ATI FirePro V3800 / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
AMD Phenom II X4 B93 / Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM / GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 / Crucial M4 120GB / Mem: 2x2GB DDR2-800 - 4GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Return to “Core Temp - Bug reports”